Thursday, April 8, 2010

Two Wolves

There are stories from our Native Americans that tug at my heart. I put some of them in my newsletter but this one got the most notice:
Two Wolves
One evening, an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside each of us.
He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego."
"The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, serenity, humility, kidness benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."
The grandson thought about it for a minite then asked his grandfather, "Which one wins?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed".
It's been said by many that Jesus visited the Native Americans after his crucifixtion. I wasn't there and would never pretend to be an authority on the subject but the way the people in all tribes teach their young, I'm inclinded to believe it. The use of parables alone is a beautiful similarity. I think it's time we all teach our childern in such a way; it works. Will you ever forget the story of the Two Wolves?

No comments:

Post a Comment